The Seven Chakras of the Physical Body
What are the Chakras? The seven Chakras are specific areas on the body where energy flows in an out. Chakras are important energy centres (nexus) in our bodies, because a blocked, closed or malfunctioning Chakra can cause physical and emotional illness. Chakras can be cleared and balanced in a variety of ways – eg Reiki, Crystals, Sound or Meditation.
Here is a basic overview of the Chakras and the colours associated with each Chakra due to the vibrational frequency of that Chakra:
1. RED Base/Root Chakra- The base chakra is located on the perineum and at the base of the spine close to the coccyx (tailbone). The base chakra is also sometimes called the root Chakra, and it deals with our connection to the earth, being grounded, and in control of finances, survival and physical needs.
2. ORANGE Sacral Chakra- The Sacral Chakra is located in the lower part of your stomach, above your pubic bone, about two inches below your belly button. The Sacral Chakra deals with our emotions and relationships, our connection to those around us, our ability to get along with new people we meet and to embrace new experiences. It is also about fertility, reproduction and sexuality. Balancing the Sacral Chakra will lead to a better sense of fulfillment, happiness, desire and acceptance of pleasure, and being comfortable with our own sexuality.
3. YELLOW Solar Plexus Chakra- The Solar Plexus Chakra is located in the upper abdomen, above the belly button but below the diaphragm. This Chakra is connected to our ability to feel like we control our own destiny and our feeling of being an important asset to the world. It is the centre of our self esteem, self worth and self confidence.
4. GREEN Heart Chakra- Even though the actual heart is located to the left of our chest, the Heart Chakra is located in the centre of the chest, above the heart. It concerns our ability to give and receive love, our feeling of love, happiness, peacefulness, and our sense that all is well in the world and in our lives. Self Love and love of others.
5. BLUE Throat Chakra- The Throat Chakra is located in the centre and lower portion of the throat. The Throat Chakra deals with our ability to speak our trut and be heard, as well as listening to others. A strong throat chakra allows us to communicate openly expressing our thoughts and feelings to others, and helps us speak the truth without fear.
6. INDIGO Third Eye Chakra- The Third Eye Chakra is located in the centre of the forehead between your eyes and slightly upwards. The Third Eye Chakra helps our ability to see the whole picture, and our ability to consider things, come to a conclusion, and make good decisions. It is where out intuition lies, and where our psychic connections occur. A way of seeing beyond the normal.
7. VIOLET/PURPLE Crown Chakra- The Crown Chakra is located on the top of your head. This chakra deals with an ability to connect spiritually, find peace in meditation and other forms of spirituality, and our acceptance of the inner and outer beauty found within ourselves, and those around us. It is connection to all that is in the Universe.